Magnet Learning Academy Research Topic (Fall 2023):
Resolved: On balance, the benefits of school choice programs in the United States outweigh the harms.
Will self-driving cars cause more harm or good? It’s hard to say for sure. To form an educated opinion, consider these pros and cons of autonomous cars. Ask three of your friends how they feel about self-driving cars. You’ll probably get three totally different reactions. One person will express excitement about how stuff they can get done during their long commute. The second might express fear about letting robots do all the driving. The third response will be somewhere in the middle. For a fair and balanced perspective, let’s consider the good and the bad.
— Women Auto Know, October 03, 2017
Benefits of Self-Driving Vehicles (PRO)
1. Enhanced Road Safety: Self-driving cars are designed to follow traffic rules meticulously, reducing the number of accidents caused by human error. They are equipped with sensors and Artificial Intelligence that allows them to react to unforeseen circumstances more quickly than a human driver. — National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
2. Reduced Traffic Congestion: Autonomous vehicles can communicate with each other to optimize traffic flow, reducing congestion and improving road conditions. This networked communication leads to more efficient use of roadways, reducing the time spent in traffic.
3. Environmental Benefits: Self-driving vehicles are often electric or hybrid, contributing to lower emissions. Additionally, their ability to drive in the most efficient manner possible reduces fuel consumption, further decreasing their environmental impact.
Harms of Self-Driving Vehicles (CON)
1. Safety Concerns: Despite the potential for enhanced road safety, self-driving cars are not entirely foolproof. They can be vulnerable to software glitches, sensor failures, or hacking, which could result in accidents.
2. Job Displacement: The widespread adoption of autonomous vehicles could lead to significant job losses in sectors reliant on human drivers, such as trucking and taxi services. This transition could exacerbate unemployment and require retraining programs. — Brookings Institution.
3. Ethical Dilemmas: Autonomous vehicles may face situations where ethical decisions are required, such as choosing between the safety of the passenger and that of a pedestrian. Current technology is not equipped to make such moral judgments. — Nature.
REQUIRED RESEARCH (VIDEOS):
[Video] Volvo and Uber self-driving animation.
EFTM Online, June 12, 2019 [2 min]
[Video] U.S. clears the way for this self-driving vehicle with no steering wheel or pedals,
CNN Business, February 6, 2020 [1 min] <– Please watch the video and read the article too. ty!
[Video] Pros and Cons of Self-Driving Cars,
GCF Global, April 28, 2020 [3 min]
[Video] 7 Pros and Cons of Self-Driving Cars,
Bright Side, April 6, 2020 [9 min]
REQUIRED RESEARCH (ARTICLES):
OPTIONAL RESEARCH (ARTICLES & VIDEOS):
[Video] Self-Driving Tech Companies Aren’t Developing Fast Enough,
Wall Street Journal, October 28, 2022 [8 min]
[Article]/[PDF] 32 Advantages & Disadvantages of Self-Driving Cars,
Environmental Conscience, Last Accessed: July 2023
Note: I did not make a nice-looking PDF for this article. Please use the link instead. Tyvm.
ADDITIONAL RESEARCH (EVIDENCE & ARGUMENTS):
714.655.8135 (I prefer text)
When contacting me, please include your name and class information (day/time). Thanks!